Australian School of Business > Schools
Solicitor and Barrister, Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia
Michael teaches and researches in the area of governance, finance, banking and tourism law. Prior to joining the University of New South Wales he was a solicitor and corporate counsel in Sydney, London and Hong Kong. His research and professional activities are focussed in the area of corporate governance (with particular reference to the banking-finance sector), competition law (misuse of market power), tourism law and financial regulation.
He is an honorary advisor to the not-for-profit finance sector and serves on a number of industry arbitration panels and has also served as an Arbitrator, Local Court NSW (Civil Claims). Michael has undertaken several honorary legal consultancies in the private and public sector in Australia, Hong Kong and India.
Michael has authored and co-authored several books, presented over 40 conference and seminar papers and has lectured in Hong Kong, UK, USA, New Zealand, India and China. He has written articles, columns, and is a regular commentator on corporate and financial regulatory issues in the Australian and overseas media.
He has held various positions as advisor and examiner to the NSW High School Certificate (HSC) Legal Studies, conveyor of the HSC Legal Studies Conference for over a decade and is a member of the NSW HSC Legal Studies Essay Award. Michael has been invited to make submissions to Parliamentary Committees and to Regulators in Australia and overseas, and is a regular presenter at professional and academic conferences and seminars.
- Tourism Law (with Prof Dwyer, Dr Marsh, Dr Frangialli secretary, WTO) LPA, Sydney, (forthcoming 2005)
- Principles of Business Law, LPA Sydney (forthcoming 2005)
- Laws of Business, Law Press Asia, Sydney, 2004
- UK Statutes on Contract and Commercial Dealings LPA (UK) 2004
- Australian Society and the Law, Volume 1 LPA-Quest Press, Sydney 2004
- Laws of Business Cases, States and Commentary, 2nd ed LPA, Sydney 2004
- Laws of Business Cases, States and Commentary,1st ed LPA, Sydney 2003
Selected publications and conference papers
- Consumer rights and the law 2003, Economics Volume 37 No. 4 ISSN 1328-7966
- Crime in Business 2003, Economics Volume 37 No. 5 ISSN 1328-7966
- Property law and the right to shelter 2002, Economics Volume 37 No. 4 ISSN 1328-7966
- Shelter and the law 2002, Economics Volume 38 No. 4 ISSN 1328-7966
- Regulating consumer contracts 2002, Economics Volume 38 No. 5 ISSN 1328-7966
- 'Creating a Dynamic Learning Environment', First Year Teaching Conference UNSW 2003
- Submission to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Committee, (Review of the Trade Practices Act) 2002
- Corporate governance in a global economy, Corporate Governance Conference, University of NSW 1999
- Corporate governance
- Banking-finance Competition law
- Finance law
- Tourism law