Australian School of Business > Schools > Banking & Finance > News & events > Australasian Finance & Banking Conference (AFBC) > 24th Australasian Finance & Banking Conference
24th Australasian Finance & Banking Conference
The 24th Australasian Finance and Banking Conference was held from 14-16 December, 2011 at the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney. A PhD forum was held on 13 December 2011 at UNSW.
2011 prize winners
- BlackRock Research Award
Tim A. Kroencke, Felix Schindler, and Andreas Schrimpf -"International Diversification Benefits with Foreign Exchange Investment Styles"
- BankScope Prize
Nishant Dass, Vikram Nanda, and Qinghai Wangy "The Role of Covenants in Mitigating Conflicts of Interest Within Lending Syndicates"
- SIRCA Research Prize
Serkan Honeine and Peter L. Swan - "What are the Determinants of Board Performance: Skin in the Game, Composition, Diversity Size?" and Chris Single and Russell Poskitt - "Why is US dollar bond funding for international banks more expensive?"
- Australian Securities Exchange Prize
Shumi Akhtar, Maria Jahromi and Kose John -"Intensity of Volatility Linkages in Islamic and Conventional Markets"
2011 PhD forum prize winners
Prizes were awarded for the top three papers presented at the PhD forum.
- 1st prize
Oleg Chuprinin -"Information Management in Financial Markets: Implications for Stock Momentum and Volatility"
- 2nd prize
Francesco D’Acunto -"Ownership Structure and Firm Value: A Novel Identification"
- 3rd prize
Matthew Gustafson -"The Effect of Public Debt Market Access on Bank Loan Spreads: Evidence of Competitive Spillover"
- Professor Viral Acharya, New York University
Topic: Guaranteed to Fail: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Debacle of Mortgage Finance
- Mr. Ric Battellino, Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
Topic: Recent Financial Developments
- Professor Andrew Karolyi, Cornell University
Topic: Are assets still priced locally, not globally?
- Professor Richard Roll, UCLA
Topic: Volatility, Correlation, and Spread ETFs as Factors
- Professor Rene Stulz, Ohio State University
Topic: Understanding bank performance during the crisis
The Chairman of the Selection Committee is Fariborz Moshirian from UNSW.
Members of the Selection Committee included:
- Renee Adams, University of Queensland
- Allen Berger, University of South Carolina
- Michael Brennan, University of California LA
- Stijn Claessens, International Monetary Fund
- J. David Cummins, Temple University
- Asli Demirguc, Kunt World Bank
- Robert Faff, University of Queensland
- Mark Flannery, University of Florida
- Kenneth French, Dartmouth University
- Bruce Grundy, University of Melbourne
- Steven Kaplan, The University of Chicago
- Andrew Karolyi, Cornell University
- Larry H. P. Lang, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Florencio Lopez De Silanes, EDHEC Business School
- Ike Mathur, Southern Illinois University
- Ronald Masulis, Vanderbilt University
- Maureen O'Hara, Cornell University
- Jay Ritter, University of Florida
- Richard Roll, UCLA
- Anthony Saunders, New York University
- Henri Servaes, London Business School
- Andrei Shleifer, Harvard University
- Tom Smith, Australian National University
- Bruno Solnik, HEC School of Management
- Avanidhar Subrahmanyam, UCLA
- Paul Wachtel, New York University
Journal of Banking & Finance
A special issue of the Journal of Banking and Finance on “Markets, Financial Stability and Governance” will include selected papers presented at the AFBC.