The 19th Australasian Finance and Banking Conference was held from 13-15 December, 2006 at the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney.
2006 prize winners
Prizes were announced and awarded at the conference dinner on Thursday 14 for the following categories:
- Barclay's Global Investors Australia Prize
AUD$10,000 for the best paper on Capital Markets/Funds Management/Mutual Funds with a focus on the Asia-Pacific Region
- Sirca Research Prize
AUD$2,500 for the best paper which used SIRCA Data
- Sydney Futures Exchange Prize
Awarded for the best paper presented on derivatives / quantitative finance
- Professor Christopher James, University of Florida: Can bankers pick winners?
- Professor Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, University of Amsterdam: Law and Finance: 10 years after
- Professor Ronald Masulis, Vanderbilt University: Agency Problems at Dual-Class Companies
- Professor David Feldman, The University of New South Wales: A New Approach to Financial Decision Making
In 2006 the International Business Forum ‘Financial Challenges and Opportunities in the Asia Pacific region’, was held on Wednesday 13th December featuring a roundtable discussion with senior executives from HSBC, Westpac, Citigroup and TD Securities.
The forum was chaired by Mr Gary Johnston of AXISS Australia. At the conclusion of the Business Forum, the conference was officially opened by the Honorable Mr Michael Costa - New South Wales Government Treasurer.