There’s never been a more exciting time to join the field of banking and finance. New technologies and the rise of the borderless business ensure endless opportunities for graduates.
How is banking and finance used in the real world?
A banking and finance qualification can take you anywhere. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a challenging and vibrant career with the world’s biggest businesses, or achieve stellar academic success.
“I believe you’ll see many more of our graduates in top academic positions around the world, presenting keynote addresses and taking the leading journal editor roles.” - Associate Professor Jerry Parwada, Head of School
What do banking and finance courses cover?
Our cutting-edge courses cement us as the leading finance school in Australia.
You’ll learn about:
- How organisations make financial policies and decisions. This can involve capital structure, investments, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, security issuance, dividends and ownership structure
- What organisations can do to benefit their shareholders
- How security prices evolve and are determined
- How prices are determined in equilibrium
- The ways rational agents attempting arbitrage can link prices in different markets
- How market makers in exchanges match buyers and sellers (market microstructure)
- How agents use financial information to trade and how this enters the pricing mechanisms
- The ways intermediaries (such as money managers and hedge funds) affect markets and prices
- Whether observed prices and investment decisions can be rationalised by models of optimising agents
Why study banking and finance?
Banking and finance is a unique business niche. It combines rigorous research with a practical mathematical foundation. By studying banking and finance, you become part of an ever-changing, fascinating field that can profoundly impact the way we live.