Australian School of Business > Schools
PhD Economics, Toulouse School of Economics
MA Economics and Finance, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris Cachan
BA Economics and BA History, University Paris X Nanterre
- Institutional Quality, Culture, and Norms of Cooperation: Evidence from a Behavioral Field Experiment, with Alessandra Cassar and Giovanna d’Adda, Journal of Law and Economics, forth. (August 2014).
- A History of Violence: The Culture of Honor and Homicide in the US South, Journal of the European Economic Association, forth.
- Initial Endowments and Economic Reform in 27 Post-Socialist Countries, with Ariel BenYishay, Journal of Comparative Economics, forth. (May 2014).
- Conflict and Social and Political Preferences: Evidence from World War II and Civil Conflict in 35 European Countries, Comparative Economic Studies, forth.
- Legacies of Violence: Trust and Market Development, with Alessandra Cassar and Sam Whitt, Journal of Economic Growth, September 2013, Vol. 18(3): 285-318.
- Social Preferences of Ex-Combatants: Survey and Experimental Evidence from Post-War Tajikistan, with Alessandra Cassar and Sam Whitt. Forthcoming in: The Economics of Conflict, edited by Karl Wärneryd MIT Press.
- Learning, Political Attitudes and Crises: Lessons from Transition Countries, with Frantisek Ricka and Claudia Senik, Journal of Comparative Economics, May 2013, Vol. 41(2): 490–505.
- The Weight of History on European Cultural Integration: A Gravity Approach, American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings, May 2011, Vol.101 (3): 1-7.
- The institutional legacy of the Ottoman Empire: Islamic rule and financial development in South Eastern Europe, Journal of Comparative Economics, March 2011, Vol. 39:1-16 (lead article).
- Democracy, Market Liberalization and Political Preferences, with Claudia Senik, The Review of Economics and Statistics, Feb. 2011, Vol. 93(1): 365-381.
- Land Tenure Arrangements and Rural Urban migration in China, with Andreas Kontoleon and Katrina Mullan, World Development, 2011, Vol. 39(1): 123-133.
- Maintenance Cost, Outside Options and Optimal Ownership of a Public Project, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, 2010, Vol. 10(1).
- Relaxing Rural Constraints: a Win-Win Policy for Poverty and Environment in China?, with Ben Groom, Andreas Kontoleon, Tim Swanson, and Shiqiu Zhang, Oxford Economic Papers, 2010, Vol. 62(1): 132-156.
- Assessing the Sustainability of the Sloping Land Conversion Program: a Choice Experiment Approach, with Andreas Kontoleon. In: Choice Experiments in Developing Countries: Implementation, Challenges and Policy Implications, edited by Jeff Bennett and Ekin Birol, Edward Elgar 2010.
- How Sustainable are Sustainable Development Programmes? The Case of the Sloping Land Conversion Program in China, with Andreas Kontoleon, World Development, 2009, Vol. 37(1): 268-285.
- “Social Cooperation and the Problem of the Conflict Gap: Survey and Experimental Evidence from Post-War Tajikistan,” with Alessandra Cassar and Sam Whitt. In: The Economics of Conflict, edited by Karl Wärneryd MIT Press.
- Assessing the Sustainability of the Sloping Land Conversion Program: a Choice Experiment Approach", with Andreas Kontoleon and Shiqiu Zhang. In: Choice Experiments in Developing Countries: Implementation, Challenges and Policy Implications, edited by J. Bennett and E. Birol, May 2010.
- Institutional Quality, Culture and Norms of Cooperation, with Alessandra Cassar and Giovanna d’Adda.
- Building Infrastructure in Transition: Do PPPs make a difference?, with Gabriela Dobrescu and Guido Friebel.
- Rule of Law, Riches, and Rogues, with Mathieu Couttenier and Marc Sangnier.
- Conflict Trap or State Building? International Wars, Civil Conflicts and Social and Political Preferences.
- Mortgage Debt and Household Vulnerability: Evidence from Emerging Europe, with Martin Brown and Ralph De Haas.
- The Crisis from the Household Perspective, with Martin Brown and Ralph De Haas, Chapter 2 of the 2011 EBRD Transition Report, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- The Intangible Transition: Democracy and Market Support After the Crisis, with Claudia Senik and Franto Ricka, Chapter 3 of the 2011 EBRD Transition Report, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- Attitudes and Values in Transition", with Gérard Roland, 2007 EBRD Transition Report, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- Assessing the Impact of the Sloping Land Conversion Program on Local Community Welfare, final report to the CCICED, 2005.
- Should Market Liberalization Precede Democracy? The Citizens' Point of View, Vox, CEPR, August 2007/
- Towards a Labour Market in China, by J. Knight and L. Song. The Economics of Transition, January 2006.
- Culture and Economics
- Economics of Institutions
- Development and Transition
- Economic History
- 2013: Australian School of Business Research Grant, AUD 24,000
- 2011: Research Achievement Award
- 2012: Australian School of Business Research Grant, AUD 9000
- 2011: United States Department of State Title VIII Research Award (USD 20,000) for: “The Co-Evolution of Trust and Institutions: Evidence from the Balkans”
- 2010: United States Department of State Title VIII Research Award (USD 18,750) for: “Violence, and Socio-Economic Preferences: An Empirical Investigation in Tajikistan and Kosovo”
- 2007-2009: Ciriacy-Wantrup Post Doctoral Fellowship in Natural Resources Economics and Political Economy - University of California, Berkeley
- 2004: Marie Curie Research Fellowship of the European Commission, for a nine months visiting position in the Department of Economics, University College London
- 2003: Doctoral Scholarship for three years, French Government
- 1998: Four year scholarship for entry to Ecole Normale Supérieure
- ECON4127 Honours Thesis Seminar
- ECON6202 Policy Evaluation Methods
- ECON4106 Policy Evaluation Methods
- ECON4129 Thesis Research Methods in Economics